Although lockdowns may be lifting, people are most likely still going to be working and socializing from home in the near future. The good news is, Facebook’s new video-chat feature is now available to allow people, communities, and businesses to stay even more connected!
This free feature will allow you to create a video chat room via Facebook or the Messenger app where you can allow up to 50 people to join a room. A Facebook account is not necessary to join a room, and there are no time limits on calls! If you start a room, you can control who sees your room, and can either lock or unlock the room. If the room is unlocked, anyone can share the link with others to have them join, but the room creator has to accept the call. You can control who joins your call and can remove participants at any time. Other great features of the messenger rooms include high quality video resolution and special effects/filters when using from your phone.
Why messenger rooms will be good for businesses:
- Messenger rooms will be a great way to connect with your customers and build a sense of community. If you typically host Facebook lives, but are wanting to reach a certain segment of your audience (50 people or less), it might be fun to create a messenger room instead. That way you are face-to-face with all of your customers, and it allows for a more personalized experienced.
- This new video feature also allows you to share your desktop or mobile screen while on video chat with everyone in the room. Therefore, if you need to demonstrate something to your customers this way, you are able to do so!
- You can share your room link through events, so that it is one click away for event attendees. Businesses can utilize messenger rooms in this way to host virtual parties to sell their product or service to clients/customers. Facebook will also soon be rolling out with a feature to charge an attendance fee for events. This combined with the ability to host virtual events via messenger rooms can allow for small businesses to acquire a nice revenue stream amidst this pandemic.
How to create a messenger room via mobile: ensure you have the updated versions of the Facebook and Messenger Room apps.
- Open the messenger app and click the people icon at the bottom right of your screen.
- Click create a room and choose who you would like to join.
- There is a blue “Share Link” button at the bottom of the screen, click it, and you can share the link with whoever you please!
How to create a messenger room in groups:
- Go to the group you want to create a room in.
- Click “Create Room” at the top of the group.
- Enter in a room activity and emoji, click save.
- A popup will appear where it will give you the link of the room (so you may copy & share), and allow you to choose a start time. Click next when finished.
- Write something about the group and post!
How to create a general room:
- At the top of your news feed where you can “Create a Post” click the “Create Room” option.
- Choose room activity, who is invited, and start time.
- Write something about your room and click post!
Facebook Messenger rooms, along with all of its features make this one of the best ways to stay connected, especially during these times. Happy video chatting!